Dufton Church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert, as is common in this part of northern England. It is not in the village itself but about half a mile away between Dufton and Knock. It has a most extensive parish which ranges over the fells to the border with County Durham. The present building dates from the 1780’s and is pleasantly lit within by its beautifully coloured windows. There has been a church on the site since at least 1283 and probably before that. It is built of local sandstone and has some old window heads and ornaments incorporated into the fabric.
Inside, there are memorials in stone and brass which give the reader an added insight into the history of the community. The church is kept open during the day. The rectory was once the cluster of buildings adjoining the church site, but the present one is a more modern building in Long Marton. Rationalisation has led to there being three Churches under one rector -
The Revd. Sarah Lunn
Mrs G Bryan
Mrs Louise Stewart
Services at Dufton in June
15th 10:30am Holy Communion
29th 10:30am Holy Communion
History of the Church
The parish church of Dufton, St Cuthbert's, lies about ¾ mile north west of the village, off the Knock road. It is possible that this was a sacred site before the coming of Christianity to Cumbria. The old part of the churchyard is curvilinear, which indicates a Celtic foundation. Tradition has it that the site is one of those where the Lindisfarne monks rested with the body of St Cuthbert while fleeing the Vikings in 865 -
Reused masonry in the church walls indicate the presence of a 12th Century church. The first written mention of the church is in 1291. The building was heavily restored in 1784 -
Dufton also has its own saint -
There is a fuller account of the history in a leaflet to be found at the back of the church.